Bill Rauhauser, born in Detroit in 1918, received a bachelor degree in Architectural Engineering in 1943 from the University of Detroit. He spent 18 years in the engineering field before a career change into the field of education. Over the next 30 years, Bill taught photography at The Center for Creative Studies (now College for Creative Studies), with 5 years as guest lecturer at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, and Wayne State University. He was appointed Professor Emeritus by CCS and is currently serving as Artist Advisor for the Board of Directors of the Graphic Arts Council of the Detroit Institute of Arts.
Bill is listed in the Archives of American Art at the Smithsonian Institute in Washington, D.C. The many exhibitions of his work include “The Family of Man” show at the Museum of Modern Art in New York City. Bill has been involved in photography for over 60 years and opened the first Midwest gallery in 1964 to show only photographs. He has made Detroit his main subject, walking its streets and alleys with his camera from the 1940’s, and many of his photographs are in the collection of the Detroit Institute of Arts as well as in numerous private collections.
Book publications of his photographs include: Detroit Revisited (2000); Bob-Lo Revisited (2003); and Detroit Auto Show Images of the 1970s (2007). He has also co-curated a number of exhibitions for the Detroit Institute of Arts, including “The Car and the Camera” in 1996.
Bill Rauhauser Portfolio